so....what now????

stealth bombshell.

Friday, February 16, 2007

Adventures in San Antonio, part 1

I've been in San Antonio for only two days (for the Texas Music Educators Association convention) and it's already been...interesting.

The night before we left, we had a "single's awareness day" party with the gals at our dorm. That was definitely a blast! Only downside (if you want to call it that)? I ended up getting about 1 hour of sleep, give or take. Suffice to say...Hannah drove. We were having a great time until tiredhead hit Amanda and I...we both passed out at about the same time. Once we got to our (hole in the wall!) hotel, we were informed that we couldn't check in yet...so we made our way to get some food. Turns out, there's this AMAZING little diner right next to our hotel. It's called Lulu's. It's cheap, the food's great, and they make one AMAZING cup of coffee. I'm having one right now, as a matter of fact!

Anywho. We left Lulu's and headed to the convention, where we proceeded to shop until it closed at 5:00. I'm definitely not the shopping type...I get tired of it REALLY fast. But considering everything for sale is music related, I was like a kid in a candy store. I mean, come on. It's a convention for music educators. They've got everything you could ever want. Or at least everything I could. Last year I bought so many stickers for my piano students that I didn't even get to use them all. Yes, that is exactly the kind of nerd I am. And I happen to like it that way, thanks.

Today was spent attending meetings...going to concerts...sitting in on all-state choir rehearsals...and attempting to catch up with my MHS all-stater friends. GOSH I love those kids. I'm sad that I don't have more chances to see them. But it's okay...I get to hear them sing beautifully tomorrow! I am VERY excited.

What's the adventure part, you ask? Well for one: it's NO exaggeration to say our hotel is a hole in the wall. There's a questionable smell when the heater turns on, and even when it's on you're still freezing. The toilet barely works (I know, gross). The shower has plenty of water pressure but instead of spraying towareds you like a normal shower, the water sprays in a very wide circle, so that the wall and floor get much more wet than you ever will. And I definitely would not feel safe drinking the tap water. I mean surrously...this place makes me miss HUNTSVILLE water. No lie. So yeah...every moment in that room is a special experience...and in the end it's flippin hysterical.
We've been parking every day at this bank downtown because the parking there is cheap and you at least FEEL like the car is safer because it's on the second floor of a parking garage. But tonight, we didn't get back until much later than last night...so the bank was kind of, how you say, closed. So in short, we all had a bit of a panic attack thinking we wouldn't be able to get to our car. After said panic attack, we proceeded to find the security guard, who very kindly let us in and wished us a good night. But, man...when I finally got in my car, i gave it a big long hug. I mean, I only thought I couldn't get to it for about ten minutes...but, man, that was a LONG ten minutes. I think Hannah and I said, "Thank you Lord!" quite emphatically about 75 times on the way back to the hotel.

At the moment, hannah and i are relaxing quite cozily at Lulu's. I have now had three cups of coffee. erm...maybe we should keep me away from coffee when I've had a stressful day. but dude...this is one AWESOME cup of coffee.

1 Comments:

At 2/17/2007 08:40:00 AM, Blogger Brent said...

After the S.A.D. party and one hour of sleep, did you have as much tired-head as you did in Heathrow in London after staying up all night, ummm, cleaning?

If I'd been there to wake you up I would've gone (in my high-pitched voice) "Wake it up, ever'boddeh! It's time to have a great day in Noord Holland!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home